After a disastrous first half of 2015 which almost culminated in relegation and led to an unprecedented live TV appearance from the owner, NUFC approach the new season with a renewed but cautious optimism. Three relatively big money signings have come in, although there are still deep concerns over the back-four, concerns which have not been alleviated by a contract extension for skipper Coloccini.
The new boss
Steve McClaren has come in with a mixed record over the years – success at Middlesbrough & Twente tainted by failures in Germany and a disastrous end to a spell in charge of Derby. There are a number of markets available on how successful (or not) McClaren might be:
- to win manager of the season – 25/1 with SkyBet
- to be first PL manager sacked – 12/1 with SkyBet
- to leave before the end of the season – 9/4 with Coral
- to be sacked before the end of the season – 4/1 with Ladbrokes
- August manager of the month – 10/1 with Ladbrokes
Betting on the Toon’s final finishing position is never an easy task to begin with, and may prove nigh on impossible this year. Some fans fear a third relegation battle in four years, whilst the board are rumoured to have given the new boss a remit of a top 8 finish.
Selected finishing odds
- A top 10 finish – 27/10 with UniBet
- To be relegated – 11/2 with 32Red
- To finish above Crystal Palace – 5/4 with SkyBet
- To finish above Sunderland – 2/5 SkyBet
- to qualify for Europe – 10/1 with SkyBet
The second task bestowed upon McClaren marks a drastic change in club policy. Just two years after Lee Charnley’s admission the club were not taking the cups seriously, the new man has been instructed to challenge for a trophy. Luck of the draw permitting, it would be a refreshing change to see an NUFC XI go out and challenge in one of the domestic cups.
- To win the FA Cup – 40/1 with Bet365
- To win the League Cup – 40/1 with William Hill
- To win a trophy – 20/1 with SkyBet
With new signing Mitrovic pushing Papiss Cisse and Ayoze Perez for a place up front, there is also a market for who will be NUFC’s top league goalscorer this season.
Top Scorer Odds
- Mitrovic – 40/17 with UniBet (100/1 overall PL with BetVictor)
- Cisse – 4/1 with SkyBet (150/1 overall PL with Bet365)
- Ayoze – 5/1 with Bet365 (150/1 overall PL with Ladbrokes)
- Wijnaldum – 8/1 with 32Red
- Sissoko – 14/1 with PaddyPower
- Gouffran – 50/1 with SKyBet